Blogs > Eating It Up Locally!

Who wants to cook? Let’s go out to eat. See where News-Herald staff members dined and where they go to unwind in our area. You might just find a new treasure in your own neighborhood.

Monday, January 12, 2009

Snowy Saturday at the market

My hat is off to colleague Chuck Koelble.
His column Saturday on the Community page sang the praises of the East Side Farmer's Market at 30022 Euclid Ave. in Wickliffe. The market is housed in what formerly was a party center.
Before proceeding, let me tell you I woke up Saturday morning and quickly decided I wouldn't be making my regular weekend run to the West Side Market in Cleveland.
My devotion to the West Side Market is such that I routinely go there in all manner of bad weather. For whatever reason, this past Saturday I wasn't in the mood to play tag on Route 2 with crazy people who don't have brains enough to slow down when the road is blanketed with snow.
Anyway, I'm reading The News-Herald with my morning coffee when I spy Chuck's column. From where I live in Eastlake, it took less than 10 minutes to get to the East Side Farmer's Market.
The place is, as Chuck described it, user-friendly with fresh produce, meat and bakery products. There also is a deli counter with home-cooked, ready-to-eat food.
I got a slice of pizza and a soda to go with my eco-friendly shopping bag full of fresh produce and two cherry-cheese Danish for Sunday breakfast. The bill was just under 20 bucks.
This customer was mightily pleased with the quantity (buying and cooking for two is a challenge), quality and price of his purchases at the market owned by Jimmy Selgjekaj.
I'm not giving up my forays to the West Side Market. But I will be making plenty of runs to the East Side Farmer's Market. It's open 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Saturday and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday.
- David S. Glasier

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home