Blogs > Eating It Up Locally!

Who wants to cook? Let’s go out to eat. See where News-Herald staff members dined and where they go to unwind in our area. You might just find a new treasure in your own neighborhood.

Thursday, January 15, 2009

I really love Taco Bell, don't you?

OK, I need to confess, I love Taco Bell. No really, I really love it. People laugh when I say that, but it's true. I usually eat Taco Bell a minimum two times a week and more like three or four times. Most people who are past their college or high school years have moved on to more sophisticated dining establishments.

I do enjoy fine dining, but I suppose if I had a last meal it would be Taco Bell. I can literally exist eating this wonderful food and that's what I did 15 years ago for about three years in college. I never had much money and worked to support myself while attending school by cleaning at a movie theater in the mornings.

I typically found a dollar or so in change, sometimes more, on the floor and it was enough to buy lunch, and sometimes dinner, for me every day at the restaurant next door. So that's what I did except on Sundays, since I worked six days a week.

Today, now that I'm somewhat grown-up, I still love eating Taco Bell. It's still cheap (a bonus in this economy) and actually they have made improvements to their menu to make it a relatively healthy place to eat.

The Taco Bell fresca menu actually is pretty low-fat and full of taste and spice. Try it some time, you might find you like it.

On Thursdays, that usually means a trip to Taco Bell in Painesville for me. I love to stop through the drive-thru for lunch on my way back to the office from a Lake County commissioners meeting.

I get the same thing every time: one bean burrito (350 calories, 9 grams fat, 8 grams fiber) and two soft tacos fresca style (each only 180 calories, 7 grams fat, 3 grams fiber). Less than $3 for lunch. It's also filling and fits in with the Weight Watchers plan. I'm a lifetime member after losing 55 lbs nearly five years ago.

But mostly my Taco Bell love is just a quick, tasty and, if you like, a healthy way to eat a lunch or dinner and, perhaps, let you still feel like a kid.

-- John Arthur Hutchison

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home