Blogs > Eating It Up Locally!

Who wants to cook? Let’s go out to eat. See where News-Herald staff members dined and where they go to unwind in our area. You might just find a new treasure in your own neighborhood.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Bring on the guac!

I'm a regular at Chipotle. And like most Chipotle regulars, I had settled into my favorite combination that I ordered every time I walked up to the counter. But last week I decided to live a little dangerously and step out of my routine.

Instead of lettuce on my burrito, I got guacamole.

Avocados are a superfood, dense with nutrients and full of health benefits. According to SuperFoodsRX.com, avocados are full of fiber, magnesium, folate and vitamin E; the fruit contains monounsaturated fat, the good kind that can help lower your bad cholesterol. TheHealthierLife.co.uk also touts their potassium, vitamin B, vitamin K and omega-3, and references a study by U.S. researchers that found avocados helped people absorb lycopene, alpha-carotene, beta-carotene and lutein. What do all those nutrients and vitamins do for you? Improve vision; help prevent cancer, heart disease and high blood pressure; play a role in weight loss (if eaten in moderation). SuperFoodsRX notes that avocados are high in calories but increase satiety, which means you feel full more quickly when eating them.

While lettuce itself has health benefits, I'd rather go with the guacamole on my burrito. It's tasty and good for you, and Chipotle's guac is always fresh.

My perfect Chipotle burrito:
-rice
-black beans
-mild salsa (tomato)
-corn salsa
-cheese
-guacamole

And I eat only half at a time, so I get two meals out for $5.75, and I don't feel terribly unhealthy or unhealthily full for doing so.

Try it the next time you go to Chipotle. If you're not ready to get it on your burrito, try it as a side with chips. You won't be disappointed.

-- Cheryl Sadler
CSadler@News-Herald.com

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home