Blogs > Eating It Up Locally!

Who wants to cook? Let’s go out to eat. See where News-Herald staff members dined and where they go to unwind in our area. You might just find a new treasure in your own neighborhood.

Friday, January 16, 2009

Egg white flat, and only an egg white flat

If you've paid any attention to the fast-food market in the past year, you've noticed that Dunkin' Donuts isn't just a doughnut shop anymore.

The national chain has been touting its coffee prowess to anyone who will listen, and has recently realized Americans need to become more healthy, both launching a line of lower-fat items and pointing out things that aren't necessarily going to bust your caloric intake for the day in one meal.

Among the items on the "healthy" list is the Egg White Turkey Sausage Flatbread Sandwich. It's like an omelette in a sandwich. Only healthy.

I keep the sandwich in the back of my mind, and turn to it on mornings like today, when I don't leave myself enough time for breakfast.

It's egg whites, turkey sausage and spinach with cheese on top, served on a firm whole-wheat bread.

My only complaint is you can't order it without cheese. Because of my diet, I'd rather not have those extra calories.

It comes without condiments, so you could spice it up with a hot sauce, or, do as I do, apply a little bit of mustard.

It's a good, healthy option if you're in a hurry, which I was this morning, showing up at the Dunkin' Donuts at East 222nd Street and Lakeshore Boulevard in Euclid.

When I arrived, however, I learned the restaurant wouldn't be able to produce my usual extra-large coffee, because the building's pipes were frozen in the -7 degree temperatures.

I moaned for a moment and watched the Roto Rooter man work his magic, but left with my sandwich before the pipes were made functionable. I can only hope they were able to get the coffee brewing quickly, though.

Their reputation is at stake!!

-- Laura Kessel

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home