Blogs > Eating It Up Locally!

Who wants to cook? Let’s go out to eat. See where News-Herald staff members dined and where they go to unwind in our area. You might just find a new treasure in your own neighborhood.

Monday, January 26, 2009

Mexican and a movie...

I know I should have tried some sort of Middle Eastern food before heading out to see "Slumdog Millionaire" on Saturday night.

Alas, I was lazy and turned to the always reliable Lopez Southwestern Food Club, across Cedar Road from the Cedar Lee Theater in Cleveland Heights.

I let slip in declining a pre-dinner drink that I was saving room for my movie-theater popcorn, and the server, Temma, worked throughout the meal to ensure the start of the Academy Award-nominated film wasn't missed.

The Pulled Pork Burritos were outstanding, topped with black beans and a tangy and just spicy-enough charred tomato-guajillo sauce that foolishly American me said would be outstanding on top of a plate of spaghetti.

My favorite part of Lopez, however, is its presentation of chips and salsa before the meal. Usually, you get a heaping basket of chips with the salsa. Here, you get a small paper lunch-style bag that serves a much smaller amount that allows an easier control of portions.

Because the Cedar Lee is featuring so many of the Oscar nominees, I can easily see a return visit in the not-so-distant future.

-- Laura Kessel

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home